Friday 5 April 2013

DREAM CATCHER

I was fascinated  by native Americans culture since i read a book 'Winnetou' written by Karl May. I found their spiritual world so pure and delicate and their believes based on values so different from the white man. As soon as i saw a stamp 'Dream-catcher' made by PSX on sale i had to have it. As soon as it arrived, i created a card which associates to me with the mystical world of Native Americans.


I would like to explain the meaning of this card along with tutorial.

I chose the words 'Peace', 'Journey', 'Faith' from Spellbinders set 'Positively Me'. These words are symbols of possible destination, if you seek for something and you believe in yourself and others. The fence (die cut with Spellbinders D-LITES 'Wrought Iron')  symbolizes similar for the most of us, behind them a peaceful home is waiting. Faith is the drive to continue our journey. The peace of mind is a luxury what everybody seeks, but not everybody can find.




The black background was cut out using Spellbinders 'Stately Circles', the same dies were used for the main image Dream Catcher. I cut out another black circle and created a shadow (cutting in the middle and gluing it behind the image circle).
The dream catcher itself has got a mystical meaning to protect child from bad dreams. to read a bit more about it i would recommend Tara Prindle article "NativeTech: Dream Catchers".

With die from Heartfelt Creations 'Timeless Amour' set i cut out 2 shapes from silver and black card. created shadow placing them one on another and then i positioned them behind the main circle.


I used Sheena Douglas embossing folder Wood Panel to create background. I applied a distress ink Stormy sky, on embossing folder first and them embossed the card (20x14.5 cm).  The wood panel was chosen to create a union with nature and a bark of willow, the one of the basic materials used to make a dream catcher.

Further i assembled everything on embossed piece of card. I used a special thread to create a hanging effect and added few feathers.

Then i cut out white card (23x17cm) for base, inked its edges with distressed Story sky. On top of it I placed silver card (22.5x16.5), which i debossed first with A4 M-bossabilities EG-002. Then on top of base card I placed dark blue card, plain silver card, black card and assembled topper on top.

TIP: each backing layer I did half centimeter smaller.
TIP: I double layered main base card and created  tilting effect, to make it more like standing picture rather than a card.

I hope you enjoyed this journey to spiritual world of native Americans. And even knowing this is a part of other nation's culture do you use Dream catcher at home?







2 comments:

  1. I don't use Dream catcher at home, just cannot imagine which place would be ideal :( but I like them a lot. Your post about Dream catcher with meanings is very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like dream catches, too. usually they used to be used for kids to keep they sleep at peace. i do not have any at home, that's why i created a card, thinking about wall art with this symbol.

    ReplyDelete